Sunday, June 17, 2007

orchids & earthquakes

I keep forgetting to mention that orchids are everywhere here. In old Pahoa town there's a lady who puts out orchids every tuesday for two dollars...so I now have 7 :) I'm in heaven! Then there's the wild apple-bananas. They're about 1/3 the size of a regular banana & soooo good....this coming from a woman who doesn't like bananas. We got a few ripe pineapples from the back yard & are still looking for ripe avocados on the highway. Supposedly Avos will be ripe with the month. You definitely can't starve here, so long as you can walk...all of the roads are lined with wild avo, papaya, mango, bananas & pineapple. If you can shoot there's wild pig.

Kilauea is going nuts today. We've had over 230 earthquakes in the last 20 hours. We had a 4.0 at 6pm and I didn't even feel it....very different from the rock & roll we got in the old house in Berkeley. They've closed the road out to the lava flow because cracks have opened..no wonder Pele was cranking out lava on Tuesday night! We spent a few minutes tonight reviewing the disaster plan in case she blows and/or there's a tsunami. Apparently we have 30 seconds max to grab the keys and the cat & haul ass up to Pahoa if there's a big quake on the Big Island. Needless to say I have my keys right by the bed. Nobody seems to bothered by it & we're secretly hoping something happens so that land prices drop, lol. Honestly, now that I'm here I wouldn't mind living out on one of the old flows. There are small oaisis of jungle surrounded by vast black lava...it's gorgeous and peaceful. No neighboors, quiet and there's something intangible I can't describe about the awesome energy of a lava field.

Off to bed. I think I'm going to sleep out on the porch to enjoy the breeze & fresh air. It's 11:15pm & I'm still nice and comfortable in a tank top. Ah bliss.

No comments: